Vietnamese Iced Coffee (aka ca phe nau da) is a perfect summertime drink that combines a rich dark roast coffee and sweetened condensed milk. The coffee used should be a coarse French dark roast with chicory that gives it a unique flavor. The coffee is brewed using a small metal French drip filter (cà phê phin) into a cup containing sweetened condensed milk. The coffee mixture is then stirred and poured over ice in a tall glass producing a cool creamy coffee drink.
- 1 tablespoon of Vietnamese style Coffee or a dark roast with chicory with a coarse grind.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk
- 6 ounces boiling water
- Boil water.
- Put sweetened condensed milk into a coffee cup or mug.
- Put coffee into a cà phê phin (Vietnamese coffee filter pot). Tap to get coffee to settle on the bottom. Screw cap.
- Place pot over the top of the cup or mug.
- Pour boiling water into the filter and allow to flow into the cup or mug.
- After water has flowed through, remove the filter pot and place on a plate to prevent drippings from getting on table.
- Add ice to a tall glass.
- Pour coffee mixture into the tall glass.